World Meteorological Day is a yearly event, celebrated on 23 March. It commemorates the the entry into force in 1950 of the convention that created the World Meteorological Organization. The day also highlights the huge contribution that National Meteorological and Hydrological Services make to the safety and well-being of society.
This year's World Meteorological Day theme is “Weather and climate: engaging youth.""
The following resources are available for supporting World Meteorological Day celebrations around the world:
- A new and revamped ""Youth corner"" website
- A message from WMO Secretary General Michel Jarraud (video)
- A message from the UN Secretary General's Envoy on Youth, Ahmad Alhendawi (video)
- Poster for downloading (high-resolution) (pdf)
- ""A career in meteorology"" (updated edition)
- WMO Bulletin no. 63(1), highlighting youth issues (available by 21 March)
- Watch for social media activities throughout the year on the WMO Facebook and Twitterchannels
- The WMO 2014 calendar (pdf)
- Celebration at WMO headquarters (24 March) - programme (pdf)
Our Twitter careers session links in with this and is timed to be on a week day in the run up to World Meteorological Day.